One of my favorite cake recipes. You can do so much with this simple list of ingredients to make something different. It’s amazing! I learned this from my Aunt Mildred who often cooked for her Church on Sundays. She told me she used this recipe for nearly two months and no one knew they were eating the same cake week after week.
You can cook this in a Bundt pan, regular cake pan, bread pan, cupcakes and so on. And each one will be its own special and unique cake.
She would fix it in a bundt pan and add glaze to the top. The base recipe calls for vanilla to add flavor. But change it to orange extract and top it with chocolate for a totally different cake.
Change it almond extract and top it with a rum or spice glaze and a few almond slivers for another variation. Change the vanilla again to apple extract, cut in a few chunks of fresh apple and top with cinnamon glaze and you have a wonderful fall dessert.
My favorite version is to bake the cake in two regular 9inch cake pans. Cool, fill and top with whip cream and strawberry pieces for a great summer time dessert. My sister does this in a different variation using homemade vanilla ice cream instead of whip cream.
My son’s favorite version is to mix the base cake in a bundt pan. He adds milk chocolate chips, then top with chocolate icing. My Man prefers to replace the vanilla with walnut extract, chop walnuts and mix into the cake and bake in a bread pan. Then top it with a brown sugar glaze.
Whatever you can think of, you can do with this recipe. Be creative and alternate the flavoring to make a new creation. So let’s get to it. The original recipe makes one 10inch bundt cake.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup butter
- 2 1/2 cups white sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups cake flour
- Preheat oven to 300ºF (150ºC).
- Lightly grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan.
- Cream shortening, butter and sugar until light and fluffy (for best results use an electric mixer). This will take a while.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Combine baking powder and flour.
- Stir into mixture alternating the milk and flour. Start and end with the flour.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Melt butter, let cool slightly
- Mix dry ingredients, sugar and salt
- In another bowl mix the wet ingredients, milk, vanilla extract and butter
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until creamy
- Place the bundt cake on a serving tray and glaze the cake
Serve warm or cold.
If you would like to try the walnut and brown-sugar glaze variation, here’s our recipe for the glaze.
Brown Sugar Glaze:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Brown Sugar Directions:
- Heat butter and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat
- Stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Add cream, vanilla, and salt, and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, and let cool until thickened.
- Use glaze immediately.